Friday, March 15, 2013

If I ever find myself homeless, I can always move to Ikea

Whoever said that Disney World is the happiest place on Earth was wrong. It's Ikea.

I was actually given the privilege of being reminded of the wonderfulness of Ikea this evening. What started out as a run to Safeway for some chips turned into an "OMG WE NEED TO GO TO IKEA" moment. I don't know what it was, whether it was the meatballs, the ligonberries (spell check seems to think "ligonberries" should actually be "liberalness") or the thought of all of that cheap comfortable furniture, just waiting to be sit in, but those Swedish flags were calling to me. I felt it. 

It's the best feeling walking into Ikea. It's basically comparable to that feeling when you were little, and you walked into a restaurant with a HUGE playplace and you opened those doors and felt the rays of sunshine and glory just radiating off of that giant, plastic castle. That's Ikea. You open the doors, and you see the Swedish signs everywhere and you're just bouncing with excitement on the inside. This is your playground, only without the dirty ball pit, the tetanus and the AIDS.

Now, you are basking in the awesomeness of Ikea, but is has its downfalls. After you've sat in every single pretend living room there is, and imagined yourself living in a hip, modern downtown Stockholm apartment, you feel a minor sadness. Kind of a sadness over the fact that you will never be Swedish.

But that feeling soon subsides, because my favourite game (and probably the favourite game of everyone I know), besides hide and seek, is called "buy everything I see." I don't know what it is about Ikea, but for some reason, you need everything. You need more forks, knives, and spoons. You need a cool looking pillow. You need a lamp that looks like Medusa. You need a shower curtain. Honestly, you could have all of the potato peelers in the world, but when you pass by the modern, trendier version of the potato peeler, you need it. You could be a college student, living in a dorm, but for some reason you need a children's bed (actually hopefully you don't, for obvious reasons). This is a strange psychology, because I could go to Walmart and not give any of those things a second glance, but for some reason, if the Swedish word for it is on the tag, I want it.

So I know what you're thinking. How much damage was done at Ikea? Well, actually, I'll have you know that I was good. After carrying a cool pillow throughout most of the store, I put it aside for these KICK ASS LIGHTS. Seriously. I may not go out and party, and I don't go to clubs, and I also don't stay up until 2 am studying for tests, but I display my "college student" in other ways. Better ways. Like with how distracted I am by pretty lights. Anyway, all it took was for me to play with the colour adjusting knob for like, five seconds before I decided that I was going home with these lights. Because who doesn't need cool colour changing lights? I am a girl of complex emotions. Sometimes, I just wanna look at a red light. Other times, I need a blue one. Sometimes, I'm gonna need a mix of blue and green. They're just perfect for me, and I can't help but think of all of the wonderful times I'm gonna have with these lights. And by "wonderful times," I mean, if I ever find a place to put them, since I don't spend more than five seconds in any one place...

Anyway, after all is said and done, I have cool lights, but we never did find the chips we were looking for. 

No comments:

Post a Comment